Student Visas:

Attracting foreign students has long been a part of U.S foreign policy. The revenue that the students bring benefits the community that they reside in as well as the institutions that they are admitted in. The categories below describes the characteristics of the visa recipient gaining academic, vocational, or other type of training:


This is the most common of the educational study via and is designed for persons coming to engage in academic study in a full time program at an approved institution, the prospective student may attend education at any level. The prospect student would need to prove that he has sufficient funds to pay for his education without having to work and has sufficient preparation to complete the program. Students are allowed to work part time in certain circumstances during their stay in the United States.

An approved institution that issues the student Form I-20 must accept/admit a person who wishes to study in the United States. The I-20 is then presented to the consular office with all the supporting documentation to establish that he or she meets the F-1 requirement. The students are admitted for duration of stay D/S depending on the length of program. At the end of the program many students may be able to remain in the Unites States to obtain practical training or postgraduate work related to their study.


This is a broad visa category and is for person coming to the United States as students, researches, professors, non-academic specialist, physician, international visitor, camp counselor, or summer student in a travel/work program. DOS specifically approves these programs.

Persons who are admitted under J-1 are subject to a two year foreign residency requirement before they may change to certain non immigrant categories or before they may obtain permanent residency status.


The M-1 visa is for vocational students those whoa re coming to engage in a full time program at a recognized non-academic institution. These students are not precluded from attending a high school, community or junior college, or other post secondary vocational or non-academic program.